| green hills in Ojai |
Having a reliable, older car can save you a tremendous amount of money. I drive mine roughly once a week, combing my errands. By doing this, I keep the mileage low. That keeps my car repair and maintenance costs down, too. Most of the newer cars run for over 200,000 miles. A Honda can go way beyond that, but I plan to keep my VW Beetle. I think it will last me through retirement. Right now it has 50,000 miles on it.
As you get older, you realize that it's all of the little habits that really add up when saving money. When I first moved to LA, I drove all over creation. I commuted from Torrance to Santa Monica each morning, for dance classes. I returned in the heavy 405 traffic at night. I picked up friends and gave them rides, and often drove them home. It never occurred to me how far out of the way I was going. I just liked their company, and was happy to spend time with them. That's how teenagers are, very social.
![]() |
| purple iris in my cottage garden |
I would volunteer to take car loads of friends to the beach, the mall, and to Hollywood. We loved shopping in Venice and on Melrose. As I got older, I traveled long distances to auditions, to relocate to perform in shows, and to visit my family.
| flowers on the fence in Ojai |
Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.


0 Comments