Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Eating Low Carb

outdoor cafe in Monaco
 
This morning I watched a doctor on Youtube giving a talk on dietary changes that work well for arthritis.  I agreed with most of what he said, (aside from eating only meat.)   I learned by trial and error that if I just have a couple servings of carbs per day, I am way ahead of the game. 

It's nice not to have to cut out bread or pasta completely.  When I eat too many baked goods, (especially delicious desserts,) is when I will wake up in the middle of the night with an aching big toe joint or painful shoulder.  I also have noticed that it happens in the car, on long drives. 

What works for me is to consume  meat and poultry, bone broths, salads, veggies, and fruit.  This is a nice variety of foods, so  you don't feel deprived.  Potatoes can be very satisfying, and they are inexpensive.   If you cook with olive oil, and use it on your salad paired with balsamic vinegar and herbs, you avoid the oils that can cause harm.  

While staying up at the mountain cabin recently, I began to slip.  I started adding things like a bowl of granola for breakfast, a bag of homemade popcorn topped with parmesan cheese as a snack on a hike, and a generous slice of store bought chocolate cream pie for dessert.  Something about being  in the cold makes it tempting for me to buy boxed baked goods  at the grocery store.  For some reason grains can really exacerbate pain in those with arthritis and gout. 

I noticed that I was uncomfortable on the drive back from Las Vegas.  I know if was due to my dietary additions.  I had also sneaked in a few homemade lattes over the past week.  Milk  can really make arthritis flare.  I learned that by trial and error.  Coffee with cream and sugar I can manage, in moderation.  

Now I am back to my routine, and happy to be pain free.  After having both hips replaced, I am relieved that I understand my body chemistry well enough now to avoid more self induced joint pain.  I am grateful for my ceramic hips, but I don't want to have more surgery in the future, if I can help it.  This way of eating seems to be working well.  Christmas treats are tempting, but there is always tomorrow.  I will have to limit the peppermint bark.  How is your body doing?  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

Post a Comment

0 Comments